Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day - May 2008: Roses, Daffodils, Peonies, Lilacs, Irises, Alliums, and Mountain Bluet in New Jersey (zone 6b)

May and June are probably my favorite garden months. I love how they hint at the abundance to come in late summer, not to mention the old fashioned roses are blooming then. Here are just some of the highlights for May's bloom day (double click on any image for the full picture).

~
Frau Dagmar Hastrup, and then Rouletti, are my first roses of the season. Frau Dagmar is wonderful for its heavy scent and continuous bloom.
~
Rouletti has a light scent, but it is just as generous with its bloom.
~
My last daffodils to open are the Peasant Eye. Sadly, they signal the end of daffodil season. These too are fragrant.
~
This tree peony is young, so I only get a few blooms, but they are spectacular. Each bloom is about eight inches across. The tree peonies have been holding their blooms surprisingly well this season despite the rain.
~
With huge blooms this wonderfully fragrant lilac, Nadezhda, is a highlight of the lilac season.
~
Camassias and irises blooming in the Triangle Garden.
~
I love the purple allium aflatunenses. These have self seeded throughout the front garden.
~
Mountain bluet spreads and is unassuming, but I love the almost irredescent blue of its flowers and its long bloom period.
~
The jack in the pulpits in my garden, I never remember planting. I don't know if I did, or did they just appear?
~

7 comments:

Carol Michel said...

Your flowers look so fresh. I can't believe you still have a daffodil blooming, mine are long gone. The pictures of your garden on your side bar are beautiful. What a wonderful garden you have.

Thanks for joining in for bloom day again!

Carol, May Dreams Gardens

Katarina said...

Your tree peony is a dream! I'm waiting for my first bud to open - I planted it three years ago.
Fancy Jack-in-the-pulpit just appearing in your garden - are they common around your place? Here, they are considered to be rare and exotic.
/Katarina

Katarina said...

Your tree peony is a dream! I'm waiting for my first bud to open - I planted it three years ago.
Fancy Jack-in-the-pulpit just appearing in your garden - are they common around your place? Here, they are considered to be rare and exotic.
/Katarina

Julia Erickson said...

Katarina,

Yes, Jack-in-the-Pulpit are native to my area of New Jersey. You see them growing in the wild when you take a walk through the woods or the Great Swamp. I just found two more this morning that are growing in my Walled Garden.

-Heirloom Gardener

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Your bloom pictures are just wonderful. I like the white irises and the camassia together. I think I will do that when I move a bunch of the ferns that are growing where the new fence has been installed. Yep, I like the look.

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

Your flowers are all such lovely colors of white, pink & purple (my fav's). How beautiful!

posicionamiento web said...

It won't succeed as a matter of fact, that's what I believe.

Search Heirloom Gardener

Google
 

Blog Archive

Blogflux

Blog Flux Pinger - reliable ping service. Blog Directory Alltop, all the top stories
Powered By Blogger