Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Gardening with Children: How to Make a Crown and Boutonniere with Fresh Flowers

Last Saturday, two of my children made their First Communion. As a part of the joyous celebration, I made a crown for my daughter and a boutonniere for my son using fresh flowers from my garden. They were easy to make and could also be used for weddings (the perfect touch for a flower girl or ring bearer) and other special events of the summer.

~
1. The base of the crown. As a base, I made ring out of a long, flexible branch from a weigelia. I bound the ends together with floral wire and tape. You could also use a young branch from forsythia, spirea, or honeysuckle.
~
2. The flowers for the crown. Then, I went out to collect fresh flowers from my garden. I looked for flowers that were not too big and would last well out of water. Also, I took many fragrant flowers. I collected the following: daffodils, honeysuckle, brunnera, muscari, bluebells, dogwood, daphne, forget me nots, and cherry blossoms.
~
3. Attaching the flowers to the base. With floral wire, I attached each flower to the weigelia base.
~
4. The finished product. When it was done, I spritzed the crown with water and put it into the refrigerator until we were ready to put it on.
~
For the boutonniere, I used a brunnera leaf as the backing and wrapped daffodils and brunnera flowers together. I secured the whole thing together with floral tape and put it into the refrigerator to wait. The boutonniere was lovely, but I would not use brunnear foliae again because it wilts very quickly out of water (see picture); an immature hosta leaf would have been better.

5 comments:

Barbara said...

Sounds like Congratulations are in order...Congrats to the new communicants in your family! How wonderful!

Julia Erickson said...

Babs,

Thank you so much. It was a wonderful blessing for them and our whole family.

-Heirloom Gardener

Leora said...

Lovely.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

These will be wonderful memories for your children. Congrats on the first communion. They grow up so fast.

Anonymous said...

Thank you very much! I just happened upon your blog and this information is wonderful for a Marian Coronation which my friends and I are planning to do monthly.

Congratulations on your children making their first Holy Communion. I pray that they shall become ever closer to Jesus and conform their hearts to His.

Search Heirloom Gardener

Google
 

Blog Archive

Blogflux

Blog Flux Pinger - reliable ping service. Blog Directory Alltop, all the top stories
Powered By Blogger