Saturday, March 22, 2008

Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day - March 2008: Early Spring Bulbs for New Jersey (Zone 6b)

May Dreams Gardens (http://maydreamsgardens.blogspot.com/) has a great monthly event where garden bloggers' post pictures of what is blooming in their garden on the fifteenth of each month. For the past several months, I've been meaning to take pictures and post them on my blog to participate, but the day comes and goes and...

Well, March fifteenth came and went, and you can check out other bloggers' posts here: http://maydreamsgardens.blogspot.com/2008/03/bloom-day-list-and-new-bloom.html. It's wonderful to see what's blooming in other bloggers' gardens, particularly those in warmer gardening zones. Maybe on April fifteenth, I'll post my pictures on time.

In northern New Jersey (zone 6b), it's still pretty cold, but the early spring bulbs are out: snowdrops, winter aconite, and crocuses.

Snowdrops: Next year--Inspired by Wisley (http://www.rhs.org.uk/WhatsOn/Gardens/wisley/) in the UK--I want to plant thousands around my property. As I wrote in a prior post, "These small flowers are so cute and the first real sign that spring is coming. Given their size, you really can't plant too many of them--think hundreds. Since I like to plant a lot, I buy my snowdrops wholesale from Van Engelen (http://www.vanengelen.com/index.html). Once they come up, I cut small bunches for vases."

Winter Aconite: As I wrote in a prior post, "It took me a couple of years for me to get these established. I was most successful with bulbs from Old House Gardens (http://www.oldhousegardens.com/). I think the difference was that these bulbs dry out very easily and Old House Gardens coats the bulbs in a horticultural wax to prevent this. If you know someone with an established clump, it's best to beg a few in the green and replant them immediately in your garden."

Crocuses: Pictured is crocus tommasinianus, a smaller and early blooming crocus. The squirrels and chipmunks in my neighborhood love to eat crocus bulbs, but seem to leave these ones alone. The larger crocuses will bloom in several weeks. Like my snowdrops, I also buy these bulbs from from Van Engelen (http://www.vanengelen.com/index.html).

4 comments:

Carol Michel said...

Late is better than not at all.

I planted some winter aconites last fall but I have yet to see them come up anywhere. I wonder if they were too dried up when I planted them? Oh well, I'll enjoy watching yours bloom in the garden blogosphere.

Carol, May Dreams Gardens

Julia Erickson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julia Erickson said...

Carol,

Thanks for hosting! Regarding the winter aconite, if they didn't work this year, it's worth trying them again in the fall with different bulbs.

-Heirloom Gardener

Anonymous said...

Hello, I'm really enjoying reading your blog. We moved into our house last summer and are getting our garden space done this month. I'm a beginner gardener and very eager to try to grow a few veggies and flowers. What are some good books/websites/resources that would have step-by-step kind of info as well as what to do when info on seeds and transplants in zone 6b? Is the Farmer's ALmanac adequate, you think? Thanks!

Search Heirloom Gardener

Google
 

Blog Archive

Blogflux

Blog Flux Pinger - reliable ping service. Blog Directory Alltop, all the top stories
Powered By Blogger