Saturday, May 31, 2008

Picture of a Golden-banded Skipper (Autochton cellus) on Jewel Weed (Impatiens capensis)

I saw a tiny (about an inch and a half across) little butterfly that I had never seen in my garden before. As you can see in the picture, she is all black with a distinctive yellow band on her wings. Looking at my butterfly books, she appears to be a Golden-banded Skipper. In flight, given the rapid fluttering and an erratic flight pattern, the yellow band almost looks like a vibrating circle. She didn't stay still for very long, so was happy that I was able to dash back into the house, grab my camera, and snap this one picture before she said goodbye.

2 comments:

tina said...

Pretty good picture.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Wow what a find. This butterfly is beautiful. I have never seen one before. I just love jewel weed too. I should find a spot for some.

Search Heirloom Gardener

Google
 

Blog Archive

Blogflux

Blog Flux Pinger - reliable ping service. Blog Directory Alltop, all the top stories
Powered By Blogger