Monday, May 05, 2008

Advice Wanted: Crown Imperial Fritillaria Coming up Blind

Last year I planted various orange and deep purple tulips and orange fritillaria in the Rose Garden. I love orange tulips and the contrast with the deep purple makes the orange stand out all the more. I thought the orange crown imperial fritillaria would be great with the tulips.

~
The bulbs all came up beautifully. But THEN, only one fritillaria formed flowers. Why? So far, I have no quick answers. I spoke to a gardener at one of the botanical garden I visit who suggested buying the bulbs from a different supplier. They have hundreds of fritillaria which are all blooming from Brent & Becky's.
~
~
Any other ideas? The one (pictured) is so beautiful, I would love to have more next spring.

2 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I wish I could help you with this question. I have planted them and they didn't come up at all. They must not like our zone. ???

Nesting Ranch said...

We live in on Bridgewater / Basking Ridge border and just planted imperial fritillaria last year and are expecting our first this spring. In researching them I read they flower every other year as it takes so much energy to produce flowers. Did yours eventually bloom again?

Search Heirloom Gardener

Google
 

Blog Archive

Blogflux

Blog Flux Pinger - reliable ping service. Blog Directory Alltop, all the top stories
Powered By Blogger