Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Autumn Beauty: Grasses in my Mixed Borders

There was a time when I didn't think I liked grasses in the garden. Then, I visited the Cutler Botanical Garden in Binghamton, New York, and I was taken by the beautiful display grasses that they have there. Now, I have grasses in grasses in most of my mixed borders, and they are particularly lovely in autumn with their plumes, as you can see below. These pictures were taken about ten days ago and the grasses are now turning color from summer green to winter straw. I'll leave the grasses up for the next couple of months to provide some winter interest before cutting them down at the end of the winter/beginning of spring before the new growth begins.
~

Lilac Hill
The Long Border.
The Long Border.
Goldberry Hill.
The Egg Garden.

2 comments:

TYRA Hallsénius Lindhe said...

Very nice I'm an so impressed of both Frances and your's grasses they are so beautiful. I just have to plant some next season and have a go with then, I've never grown any ornamental grasses before./ Tyra xoxo

THE GREENHOUSE IN TYRA'S GARDEN

Anonymous said...

Your grasses are looking lovely - they are wonderful to have in the border, particularly at this time of year.
K

Search Heirloom Gardener

Google
 

Blog Archive

Blogflux

Blog Flux Pinger - reliable ping service. Blog Directory Alltop, all the top stories
Powered By Blogger