Monday, July 06, 2009

Picture This Photo Contest Entry on Flowering Trees: Styrax Japonicus on Goldberry Hill

I love taking pictures of flowering trees, but I can only submit one picture for the contest at Gardening Gone Wild. The reason why I like this photograph is for what Rob Cardillo, this month's judge, calls "botanical gesture which is capturing the essential qualitites of a plant in one picture." This picture of Styrax Japonicus was taken in early June in my garden in zone 6b. You can see additional photographs of my flowering trees here.

7 comments:

Janet, The Queen of Seaford said...

Styrax are beautiful when in bloom. I have a photo of one called Pink Chimes. So sweet. Your photo is really nice.

VW said...

I think your photo is very pretty, though I'm no expert. Good luck in the contest!

Lisa at Greenbow said...

This is a beauty. Good luck in the contest. I think white is difficult to photograph. You did a good job here.

healingmagichands said...

This is why I love these contests. One thinks one has the perfect image, and then you visit someone else's entry and you think, "Gosh, that is something beautiful captured well!" Suddenly, you wonder how in the world the judge can decide and thank heavens you aren't responsible for the choice!

Styrax. Not a tree I am familiar with. I must post haste investigate its hardiness because if it is hardy here I know exactly where it should go in the next development of the Stroll Garden.

Carol said...

You would get my vote... like tiny lanterns. I too will have to research this creature. Most likely not for a zone 5. Good Luck!

Country Mouse said...

Very lovely - I see what you mean about botanical gesture here. So cool and still!

Teresa O said...

Oh my another great photo. I just discovered GGW and the photography contests. This is a fun way to spend some time...looking at gorgeous photos of bodacious botanicals.

Search Heirloom Gardener

Google
 

Blog Archive

Blogflux

Blog Flux Pinger - reliable ping service. Blog Directory Alltop, all the top stories
Powered By Blogger