Friday, July 25, 2008

Garden Bloggers' Design Workshop on Garden Whimsy: Guard Frogs and Garden Names

I missed last month's Garden Bloggers' Design Workshop on Porches and Decks because I was just too busy gardening! This month's Garden Bloggers' Design Workshop at Gardening Gone Wild is Garden Whimsy. The truth is I don't think I have too many whimsical elements in my garden, but then two ideas came to mind: the entrance to the Children's Garden and the names of my garden rooms.

Guard Frogs. Just like the lions Patience and Fortitude that stand at attention in front of the entrance to the New York Public Library, the children placed these two stone frogs in front of the entrance to their garden.

The stone frogs are a couple of inches tall and wide--large enough to notice, but not too large to take away from the plants. Also, they are a representation of an animal we like, as I have prohibited statuary of all garden pests--rabbits, squirrels, etc.

Garden Names. In a prior post, I included a map of my garden. For planning purposes, I name each of the garden rooms, which is not whimsical in and of itself. The whimsy, which is more of an inside joke than an external display, is that the garden rooms have names that are aspirational to a much larger or grander property, such as the Long Border that is not too long, the Great Lawn that is modest in size, and the Walled Garden that lacks a proper wall but is rather made up of stones that I dug up from the beds. While I do take my gardening seriously, it's good not to take it too seriously.

6 comments:

Katarina said...

I like the two frogs by the entrance to your children's garden! They're so cute! And I think the idea of exaggerating just a little bit when it comes to naming the different rooms of yur garden, is both creative and amusing!
/Katarina

Shady Gardener said...

A children's garden is a fun idea. Your children must delight in that. I like the frogs. Maybe because I'm a "frog lover," too! ;-)

I followed your links. I like your ideas about garden journaling. I need to expand on what I do!

Anonymous said...

Ah ha - you sure did manage to find some whimsy, even if you didn't expect to. The guard frogs are adorable. And it doesn't matter if your garden names are an inside joke; if they make you chuckle, that's all that matters, right?

By the way, if you decide to put up a post about last month's GBDW topic, feel free to leave a link in the wrap-up post, and I'll add you to the main list. We appreciate having you as a regular participant!

Lisa at Greenbow said...

I like to find frogs in the garden no matter what form they are in. Your frogs in front of the entrance to the childrens garden is so appropriate.

I too name portions of our garden. It makes it easier to tell someone where you are talking about even if that someone is yourself. ;)

Mr. McGregor's Daughter said...

The "guard frogs" are fun & add just the right touch to a children's garden. I'm with you about not allowing statues of pests into my garden. It just doesn't seem right when I'm trying to keep the real thing out.

VP said...

I love your garden name idea. It means you can have the grandest of gardens in the smallest of plots.

And you're so right about not taking things too seriously about gardening. One of my favourite blogs says at the top 'Smile - it's only gardening'. We need to do much more of that and this month's GBDW has allowed us to do just that!

Search Heirloom Gardener

Google
 

Blogflux

Blog Flux Pinger - reliable ping service. Blog Directory Alltop, all the top stories
Powered By Blogger