Thursday, June 19, 2008

Swamp Darner Dragonfly among the Roses and Clematis

Earlier this week, I saw an amazing dragonfly resting among the roses and clematis. I see a lot of dragonflies in the garden, but I've never seen one this large before. It was huge--almost four inches long, though I haven't figured out exactly which one it is yet. I'm working my way through the New Jersey Odanata Enthusiasts' website to try to determine which it is--perhaps some sort of Darner. If someone can identify it for me, let me know!

Follow-up: I sent a picture of my dragonfly to the good people at the New Jersey Odanta Enthusiasts and they were able to identify my dragonfly as a Swamp Darner (Epiaeschna heros). Description: Huge. The size makes it almost unmistakable, but just in case, the blue eyes, prominent green thoracic stripes and brown abdomen ringed in green should remove all doubt.

6 comments:

Sylvana said...

Wow! I have never seen a dragonfly this big or beautiful before.

joey said...

Amazing you spotted him ... what a delightful find!

Unknown said...

That's a fabulous dragonfly. I can't identify it but I love them too, so good for you for catching a nice photograph of it.

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Wow what a handsome dude. I like em when they are large and easy to see.

HappyMouffetard said...

What a wonderful sight, and it managed to arrange itself so artfully amongst the rose and clematis blooms too!

Kathi~Lavender, Lace and Thyme said...

Wow, thank you for the information. I believe I saw several of these this spring which I thought was strange as I have never seen them before and not sure they are in Minnesota, I could be wrong but they sure look the same. Thanks for sharing, awesome picture! :)

Search Heirloom Gardener

Google
 

Blogflux

Blog Flux Pinger - reliable ping service. Blog Directory Alltop, all the top stories
Powered By Blogger