Sunday, February 10, 2008

Shakespeare: A February Face, So Full of Frost, Of Storm And Cloudiness


I woke up early this morning before my husband and children and took a walk around the garden. It was cold and there were only a few signs of spring and almost nothing worthwhile to photograph.

After church, we were sitting down for lunch looking out the windows to the west to this view. Today, with the movement of the sky and the trees, it was particularly beautiful.

Later, we were drawing with the children and this image came back to my mind's eye when I was looking through a book of Van Gogh's landscapes, especially the starkness of the trees and the movement of the sky. One of my favorites is his drawing Avenue of Willows with Shepherd and Peasant Woman, 1884.

Regarding this long month for gardeners in the Nothern states, Carolyn over at Sweet Home and Garden Chicago has a great quote from Shakespeare's Much Ado About Nothing: "Why what's the matter that you have such a February face, so full of frost, of storm and cloudiness?"

For Carolyn's full post, click here: http://sweethomeandgardenchicago.blogspot.com/2008/02/garden-bloggers-muse-day-feb-1.html

5 comments:

Piondröm said...

Here in Sweden is it for the moment
just like spring, sunny whith no wind and about 7 grade wormth.
Yesturday we plant some peonys in our garden who we order from Denmark.
We have never former plant peonys so early in the spring so we hope it is ok.
The best is to plant them in autum... we now but when we find this peony nursery on the internet we must try.
Regards Ken & Carina

Anonymous said...

I would love to see a larger image of some of you pics. I'm having fun investigating your blog. It is beautiful. Thanks for sharing. I added you as a favorite so I can get some new gardening ideas at my new home. I want a fence too!!

Kathi~Lavender, Lace and Thyme said...

What a beautiful post...the picture is so breath taking, thank you for sharing. I love the February Face reference, it put a smile on my face.

Kathi :)

Julia Erickson said...

Flowergardengirl--

Thank you for the compliment. I'm a pretty new blogger--how do I post bigger pictures?

-Heirloom Gardener

Anonymous said...

Hi,
Signs of spring are hard to come by here in Southern Maine. We had another 8 inches overnight. I can hardly see my young plum tree, so I envy your recent walk around your garden. I want to add my appreciation for your beautiful photos that remind us of how faithful spring is. It's hard to imagine that in several weeks the ground will be visible again and we will even put things in it. My husband and I were struck by the quote from As You Like It that we saw in Portland last night and when I googled the quote this morning, I was pleasantly surprised by your lovely website. I look forward to following your garden's progress.

Search Heirloom Gardener

Google
 

Blog Archive

Blogflux

Blog Flux Pinger - reliable ping service. Blog Directory Alltop, all the top stories
Powered By Blogger