In the past year or so that I have been writing this blog, it's been my pleasure to mention a number of the wonderful nurseries which specialize in heirloom plants. Given how frequently that I am asked about where you can buy rare plants, I thought it might be helpful to gather all of the recommendations in a single post. I am sure that this list excludes many fine nurseries, but these are just from my own personal experience. Feel free to make additional recommendations in the comments, as I am always looking for new nurseries. The following list is in no particular order:
1. Antique Rose Emporium (mentioned as a source for various roses in 12/07, 1/08, 2/08, 6/08, and 12/08): http://www.antiqueroseemporium.com/ "Antique Rose Emporium is your source for antique and old garden roses."
4. Perennial Pleasures (noted as a source of phlox in 1/08, of cranesbill gernaiums in 5/08 and sweet pea in 8/08, sells perennials): http://www.perennialpleasures.net/ "We grow over 900 varieties of flowers, herbs and shrubs, specializing in heirloom and medicinal plants."
5. Geraniaceae (mentioned in 5/08 as a source for some cranesbill geraniums, specialty geranium nursery): http://www.geraniaceae.com/ "Geraniaceae is a small nursery in Marin County, California (Zone 9b) specializing in some of the plants of the Geranium family."
6. Select Seeds (cited in 2/08 as a source of some of my self seeders, sells annuals, perennials and bulbs): http://www.selectseeds.com/ "...offers gardeners a fabulous selection of unique, high-quality flower seeds and plants, specializing in old-fashioned fragrant varieties, flowering vines, and rare cottage garden annuals."
7. Annie's Annuals & Perennials (source of heirloom annuals and some perennials, noted in 3/08 as an inspiration for my terrarium): http://www.anniesannuals.com/ "Rare, unusual annuals & perennial plants, including cottage garden heirlooms & hard to find California native wildflowers"
8. Old House Gardens (subject of a post on 1/08, with a focus on heirloom dahlias; mentioned as a source of winter aconite in 11/08, dahlias in 9/08, lilies in 8/08, and tulips in 5/08): http://www.oldhousegardens.com/ "Antique Flower Bulbs for Every Garden - Unique, Endangered, Amazing!"
9. Well Sweep Herb Farm (subject of a visit and post in 5/08, sells perennials and herbs): http://www.wellsweep.com/ "Our farm, a family endeavor, is located in the picturesque mountains of Warren County and is home to one of the largest collections of herbs and perennials in the country."
11. Seed Saver's Exchange (mentioned in 4/08 as a source of heirloom seeds): http://www.seedsavers.org/ "Since 1975, Seed Savers Exchange members have passed on approximately one million samples of rare garden seeds to other gardeners. We are a non-profit organization of gardeners dedicated to saving and sharing heirloom seeds."
12. Thomas Jefferson's Monticello (indicated in 4/08 as a source of heirloom seeds, also sells a limited selection of heirloom plants): http://www.monticello.org/ "The gardens at Monticello were a botanic showpiece, a source of food, and an experimental laboratory of ornamental and useful plants from around the world."