Saturday, May 10, 2008

Old Farmer's Almanac Spring Planting Schedule (May)

As I wrote in my prior posts on my April planting schedule and heirloom seed sources and potato planting and asparagus harvesting, I am following the Old Farmer's Almanac Gardening 2008 Calendar this year. As a a relatively new vegetable gardener (most of my gardening experience is as a flower gardener), the Calendar is an indispensable help in knowing when to plant what.

~
According to the Calender for my area in New Jersey (zone 6b), May is the time to plant the rest of the vegetables I have not yet planted. Here's a summary of what I've done to date:
~
Outside the perimeter of the Children's Garden:
~
*Asparagus - planted three years ago, the first harvest was two weeks ago, the second harvest was last week, and the third harvest will be in the coming week; I love perennial vegetables
~
*Brocolli Rabe (pictured) - seedlings planted in early April were harvested last week and were delicious
~
*Lettuce, Swiss Chard, Carrots, Leeks, Beets, Onions, and Sugar Snap Peas - also planted in early April, but not yet ready to harvest
~
*Potatoes (pictured) - seed potatoes planted two weeks ago have already started to come up--I just bought the salt hay to cover them this week
~
*Tomatoes, Zucchini, Cucumbers, Eggplant, Pumpkins, and Watermelon - some were planted last week, the rest will be planted this week
~
*Corn - to be planted this week Native American-style with a piece of whole fish for each seedling--this is another great project with the kids, though you have to harvest all of the ears the minute they are ready before the critters get to them

1 comment:

Brittany said...

Question--do you grow heirloom pumpkins?

-Britt

Search Heirloom Gardener

Google
 

Blog Archive

Blogflux

Blog Flux Pinger - reliable ping service. Blog Directory Alltop, all the top stories
Powered By Blogger