Sunday, December 23, 2007

Q: How Do You Keep Deer Out Of The Backyard? A: The Deer Fence

Chatham, New Jersey is overrun by deer. It is not uncommon to see shameless groups of deer grazing in our neighbors' yards or strolling down the street. The first victims are the deer's favorites--like ewe hedges, hostas and hydrangeas. By the end of the season, their appetite expands to include some of the deer resistant plants (so called by our local nursery), such as cone flowers and shasta daisies.

In order to keep the deer out of our backyard, we have installed a six foot tall wooden fence. For added protection, the fence posts (four by fours) are ten feet tall and strung with very strong, weather-resistant, plastic-coated wiring. There are three rows of wire above the fence, each spaced about one foot apart.

Aesthetically, the wiring is virtually invisible from a distance and does not take away from the beauty of the garden as some traditional deer fences do. In addition, we have topped many of the posts with bird houses.

8 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Your deer fencing looks quite good even in winter so it must be fablous during summer.

I just found your blog on GGW. You are in the same zone as I, 6b. I always think of NJ as being a much colder climate but I guess not. I live in SW IN.

I also noticed that you haven't been blogging very long. Neither have I. Welcome to the blogging world. I will look forward to see how your garden evolves especially since we are in the same zone. :)

~Lisa

Anonymous said...

That is an absolutely BRILLIANT idea!!! I must add a link to this post for this month's GGW Design Workshop. I've never seen a deer fence that is so beautiful as well as functional. Adding the bird houses was an absolutely perfect finishing touch. Thanks so much for sharing this idea--and I hope you have a joyous holiday.

Anonymous said...

Very pretty! I'm moving from Brooklyn upstate and suffering a lot of deer anxiety, having seen them leering at me mockingly every time I've been up there.

Anonymous said...

Outside of a good fence, certain plants will repel deer....Juniper, Nandina, Viburnum, Weigela, Barberry, Holly, Spiraea, Mock Orange, Mountain Laurel and Rhododendron.

Rock rose said...

I think this is one of the best ideas I have seen for keeping deer out. Love the way you capped the tall posts with bird house.

туры в барселоне said...

Pretty effective piece of writing, much thanks for your article.

Tammy said...

I just found your lovely blog, and I am now a follower. I just read your post about keeping out deer, and wanted to leave you with a tip. I live in a rural part of WV, deer are verywhere. I tried for years tohave a garden unsuccessfully. deer would eat my tulips as soon as they set bud. I hung sachets of milorganite from a tip by a friend. I wont do without it now. I have hung these in my fruit trees, and around the perimeter of my backyard. It kept deer out for 2 years before they started slipping back in,So replaced a few w fresh. One application and I was protected for 2 yrs, not bad. Check it out at this link:
http://www.tammyinwv.blogspot.com/search/label/Milorganite

Zonahobisaya said...

Langsung menuju : Cara Bikin Masakan
Langsung menuju : Resep
Langsung menuju : Film Terbaru
Langsung menuju : Sinopsis Film Terbaru
Langsung menuju : Arti Logo
Langsung menuju : Cara Masak
Langsung menuju : Buah Iblis One Piece
Langsung menuju : paling banyak

Search Heirloom Gardener

Google
 

Blog Archive

Blogflux

Blog Flux Pinger - reliable ping service. Blog Directory Alltop, all the top stories
Powered By Blogger